Resident-Fellow Members are physicians who have been accepted into a psychiatric residency training program that is approved by the ACGME, RCPS(C), or AOA and remain enrolled therein. Residents enrolled in a one-year primary care training program to be followed by an approved psychiatric residency are eligible for Resident-Fellow Member status.
Benefits and Services
- Receive the latest news in your field
- 25% discount to over 700 books and special member pricing for journals and subscriptions through APA Publishing, including board prep materials
- Access to and opportunity to publish in the online Resident's Journal
- Opportunities to join the Editorial Board of AJP— Residents' Journal, a forum for psychiatry residents and fellows to share ideas and experiences with colleagues
- Subscriptions to online newsletters: Psychiatric News Update and Integrated Care Newsletter.
- The Supplemental Education and Training (SET) program is an online experience designed to help you build knowledge around the milestones to meet the requirements of the seven (ACGME) Core Competencies and helps you successfully transition to practice by preparing for the business side of medicine (over $500 value)
- Try the APA Learning Center free with the Members’ Course of the Month. Each month members have free access to an on-demand CME course on a popular topic.
- Access to travel awards, fellowships, scholarships, and other research funding opportunities
- Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral
- Building a Career in Psychiatry: a two part guide to help you successfully prepare for the transition points. This resource includes:
- Part 1: Medical School and Residency
- Part 2: Transitioning to Practice
- Indispensible practice management tools including Practice Management Help Line, Coding Services, and Practice Guidelines
- Practice Management Handbook for Psychiatrists
- Significant discounts to services including legal consultation, auto and home insurance, credit card, magazine subscriptions, car rental and travel, and drug alerts.
- Strong advocacy at the local, state, and national levels on mental health issues including parity, prescribing, and confidentiality
- District branch membership focusing on issues specific to your local area
- Leadership opportunities at APA
- Mentoring networks and career development sessions at the Annual Meeting
- Inclusion in online membership directory
- Networking and professional development opportunities through APA’s social media presence on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter and through special APA listservs
- Invaluable resources including Research in Residency and Coping with Patient Suicide
2016 APA National Dues Rates for Resident-Fellow Members
First year APA dues are waived for Resident-Fellow Members! After that, Resident-Fellow Member annual national dues are only $105/U.S. and $65/Canada.
Automatic Advancement to General Member: Resident-Fellow Members are automatically advanced to General Member (GM) status upon completion of psychiatry residency training. APA requires that members verify they meet the General Membership requirements by completing the GM Verification Form.
APA’s 100% Club was established to encourage residents throughout the United States and Canada to join the APA with your fellow trainees in your residency program. Your psychiatric residency program can achieve this elite status and enjoy great benefits and gifts.
The APA and the District Branches/State Associations have a dual membership requirement. Members must join both organizations. Members in California, Connecticut, and New York belong to the state association and local district branch. The state-level dues help sponsor professional development opportunities, local meetings for networking and continuing educational programs, newsletters , and even state-level lobbying efforts for the advancement of psychiatry.
APA assists some District Branches in collecting dues but is not liable for any decisions or actions of the District Branches or State Associations. District Branch/State Association dues range from $60-$600.
Once you submit your membership application you will be sent an invoice with exact amount of membership dues owed.
View DB/SA Dues for Resident-Fellow Members
Download Important Tax Reporting Information for APA and DB/SA Dues