- POSITION: DEPUTY DIRECTOR, DIVISION OF DIVERSITY AND HEALTH EQUITY
- DIVISION/DEPARTMENT: DIVISION OF DIVERSITY AND HEALTH EQUITY (DDHE)
- OPEN DATE: JANUARY 4, 2017
- CLOSED DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
- GRADE: E-20
- SALARY: PLEASE PROVIDE SALARY REQUIREMENTS IN YOUR COVER LETTER FOR CONSIDERATION
- FLSA: EXEMPT
- AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS
The Division of Diversity & Health Equity (DDHE) works to meet the professional needs of psychiatrists from minority and underrepresented groups and improve the quality of care for minority and underserved populations.
The Deputy Director represents the Director and the Division internally and externally. S/he acts in concert with the Director to develop the strategic initiatives of the DDHE and acts in the stead of the Director as needed. Provides expert administration/management for the Division overall and is specifically responsible for budgetary and fiscal administration. Works with the Director to plan, organize and manage all the resources of the Division. The Deputy Director directly supervises the Associate Director and Program Managers (2) in the Division. The Deputy Director will also oversee the APA/APF Fellowship Programs reporting to the Director of DDHE/Director of the APA/APAF Fellowship Program.
The Deputy Director represents the Director and the Division internally and externally. Acts in concert with the Director to develop the strategic initiatives of the Division, and in the stead of the Director as needed. Provides expert administration/ management for the Division overall and is specifically responsible for budgetary and fiscal administration. Works with the Director to plan, organize and manage all the resources of the Division and works with all departments in APA on cross-functional activities.
- Represents the Director and the Division at external and internal meetings and in all interactions with APA departments and divisions. Required travel and attendance include APA annual and Institute of Psychiatric Services (IPS) meetings. In addition, opportunities to travel may be available for relevant events.
- Provides expert advice to the Director on all areas of administration.
- Directs and oversees all aspects including the fiscal administration of the APA Fellowships.
- Develops monitors and supervises the allocation of DDHE grants and budgets.
- Analyzes expenditures of the division for adherence to and variance with bottom-line.
- Assists in developing budgets for special projects, professional service contracts and grants. Identifies and analyses potential revenue sources and fiscal problem areas and solves problems related to these activities.
- Responsible for representing the Division at all budget and IT related meetings/hearings.
- Seeks external funding for diversity projects and programs:
- Directs and administers education grants and contracts.
- Develops proposals for funding diversity programs and activities.
- Development and submission of reports.
- Oversees proper communication with agencies, foundations, and other granting institutions, etc.
- Personnel Management:
- Supports the Director in the hiring and evaluation process for the staff.
- Provides general personnel oversight to staff in supervisory roles.
- Provides advice and management to staff on a variety of issues.
- Supports Associate Director in supervising the Office Manager/Division Assistant.
Oversee all APA/APAF fellowships and DDHE related APA awards.
- S/he has oversight over the APA’s diversity strategic initiatives including the planning of the fellowship programs.
- Align activities and selection across all fellowship programs.
- Develop and analyze metrics evaluating all APA fellowships and DDHE related awards.
- Work closely with Director of DDHE in developing and maintaining new programs for fellows and awardees.
- Oversees all program budget, finances and records and reports directly to Director.
- Ensures compliance with SAMHSA and funding agency requirements and develop action plans for compliance and implementation.
- Provide advice, support and solutions for resolving issues.
- Work with all selection committees and corresponding DDHE staff.
- Direct involvement in all aspects of the fellowships and DDHE awards.
Supervises Program Managers and Assistant; evaluation of program managers and Office Manager done in concert with Director of DDHE.
- Supervise the program managers and office manager/division assistant (alongside Associate Director)
- Assist Director of DDHE as directed in conducting yearly performance evaluations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience and Professional Qualifications
- Master’s Degree at minimum required (LCSW, LiCSW, Psy.D,Ph.D,M.D.) or other doctoral degree preferred) with 10 years high level administrative/managerial experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 10 years work experience developing and directing a service-oriented office with attendant personnel/projects/programs/services, within a highly complex organizational structure-- preferably a medical or health related organization.
- Ability to manage, develop and oversee complex budgets, grants and contracts highly desirable.
- Experience supervising and working with health provider trainees is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of APA’s membership including clinical concepts such as group process and cultural competency training for health providers.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of issues related to diversity, cultural competency and health care disparities is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage complex projects.